ASP.NET Boilerplate is a beginning point for building the ASP.NET web applications. It uses the best methodologies and prevalent tools. It helps in developing both Single Page and the Multi-page web applications.
With a click, the developers can get a project structure that contains the multiple pre-configured modules and the libraries in NLayer architecture. It includes the following:
- Infrastructure of the ASP.NET
- Presentation Layers
- Domain Driven Designs which includes Repositories, Entities, DTO’s, Domain and Application services
The ASP.NET Boilerplate focuses to be a solid model framework, project template, and the general-purpose application framework. It provides a solid development experience of web applications to the ASP.NET developers.
However, this is not one of the Rapid Application Development tools that provide infrastructure for designing applications without coding. This is also not a code generation tool and not all-in-one kinds of the framework. It uses popular libraries or tools for the specific tasks.
Why Do Developers Need ASP.NET Boilerplate?
ASP.NET Boilerplate version 1.0 was released in the year 2013, and developers were using the ASP.Net. Its first version includes the long development progress with 108 releases, more than 150,000 projects creations and the downloads and 1,771 forum members.
Moreover, it also included 2,667 commits, 54 contributors, 139 closed pull requests for the GitHub repositories and 1,059 closed issues. The developers are also using the newer version of the ASP.NET Boilerplate version 2.1. It includes bug fixes, enhancements, and other versatile features.
ASP.NET Boilerplate provides the developers with great features that help them to build the web application in a better and secured way. One can start the designing work easily. It uses the comments liberally and the developers get the checklist of the tasks, which is needed to perform to make the application look better. Here are some of the main features of using the Boilerplate:
- Provision of Security
- Increase in performance
- SEO ( Search Engine Optimization) services
- Browser Compatibility and Accessibility
- Debugging and seamless Performance testing tools
- Inclusion of Atom Feed, Social Media Support and Searches
- Error Handling
What is Included in Modern Architecture of ASP.NET Boilerplate?
The Modern Architecture of the ASP.NET Boilerplate includes the following pointers:
- Layered Architectural Model: The layered architecture is based on the domain driven designs. It improves the code reusability and reduces complexity. It includes the four important layers.
- The presentation layer provides the interface to the users and uses the application layer to get the user interactions.
- The domain layer is the heart of the applications and includes the business objects and the rules.
- The application layer performs the specific business tasks, and it comes between the presentation and the Domain layers.
- The Infrastructure layer provides the technical capabilities to support the higher layers that mostly use the third-party libraries.
- Module Designing: The ASP.NET Boilerplate is designed as extensible and modular. It uses the infrastructure that helps ASP .Net developers to build their own modules and composes to develop the business applications. The assembly is taking into account as a module and if someone is using more than one assembly, then they must create module definition. It focuses on the server side instead of client side.
- Multi-Tenancy Support: It helps in easier making of the SaaS applications. ASP.NET Boilerplate integrates multi-tenancy from the database to the User-Interface. The Multi-Tenancy can be enabled in the Pre-Initialize methods. It helps in getting the current tenant’s id by default.
- Free and Open-Source Platform: The ASP.NET Boilerplate is developed on the GitHub on the MIT License. It is open for contributions too as there are nearly 60% contributors until the beginning of 2018. It helps the developers to focus on the business code as it automates the common software tasks. It even offers many Nuget packages for the developers.
- Well-Documented Framework: The ASP.NET Boilerplate offers complete documentation and easy to use tutorials. It includes a systematic introduction and advanced usage of the applications. It is inclusive of module systems and layered architectural base with other common structures like session, caching, timing, logging, etc.
Steps for Creating ASP.NET Boilerplate Templates
The three main steps for creation of web applications using ASP.NET Boilerplate templates are:
- Selection the Architecture: It helps in developing single-page applications using Drundal.JS or Angular.JS. The Multi-Page applications can be created via the server rendered HTML.
- Selection of Object– Relational Mapper: This includes NHibernate and Microsoft .NET Entity Framework.
- Choose the Project name: For the creation of the basic ASP.NET Boilerplate project, enter the solution name.
To sum up, the ASP.NET Boilerplate follows a solid model for creating the starting web applications. It helps in making the web applications quickly by using some of the core-functionalities that are integral to few systems. The easier software upgrade also helps in addition of versatile features and fixing the bugs.